Followers

Saturday 31 May 2008

Home from 'Jimmies'

Well my friends,
Just got home from Jimmies (Leeds University Teaching hospital),my surgery was pencilled in for 830am,then...after tests yesterday,Mr Milton (the boss)was not happy with the results.
The heart echo sounder ( Ultra sound) detected a heart fault,they suspect at some time I have had a 'silent' heart attack,or 28 years of high blood pressure has caused a valve fault.... Theboss (Mr Milton) sought a strong set of second opinions from my team,even though,two weeks ago,he told me,one negative and I fail...he so wanted to help me.

He called the anaesthetist in to see me early today,and re pencilled in my operation as last on the list,so they could prepare for the worse (ie messing about unhurried).

They said it was looking more and more risky for me,and that they could take me to theatre,and without cutting,could simulate my body conditions as if in surgery,to measure risks,they could also,use the cardiologist from my team,to put maximum strain on my heart,to see its 'breaking' point under controlled conditions,They could also keyhole cut and simulate a lung removal with its associated stresses,but once opened up,no going back,the tumour is growing too near my heart and dont give enough ' clearance' as the boss says.

Anyway....Mr Brown the anaesthetist called at 630 am to chat....he took all the risks,and problems into account,and decided in favour of the rest of the teams decision.that they dont want to create a 'ghost' of a man,sat in a chair,with a oxygen mask,looking out of the window,at the hills he once climbed...(I said neither do I )...the chances were that following the operation,very shortly afterwards could be a respitory failure in the only half remaining of my right lung.
To that purpose,they all refused to risk the operation...they are writing my notes up with a recommendation for chemo and/or radiology....I agreed with them....Im a proud person as those of you who are close enough know and hate the thought of losing my independence and dignity.

So...the saga continues....I will keep you all updated

PS... on another ps,,, my correct oxygen machine was delivered Thursday by Kevin (Air Products UK Ltd) it works a treat,and its running costs are credited each quarter to my power account with EON.
A few of you asked me what a concentrator is so here is a link and you will see it http://www.airproducts.com/medical/UK/homecare/homecare3.html

Thanks everyone for the prayers/thoughts and support...you might not think they worked...but maybe,they helped a correct decision to be made and my life extended even by a few months...Thanks guys...your the bloody best.....

No comments: