Followers

Monday 5 May 2008

Mayday Bank holiday,the bench and some of its views














Well..... its been not too bad a few days,some nights I slept,some nights I never....but the goodness I feel from my friends contacting me is the best I have ever felt in my life....I thank you all from the very depths of my heart.
I have been thinking this past few days,of an idea I had a while ago,long before this health problem started.
I was hiking up on the old highway,top of Constitution Hill,very steep climb,and in a short space of time,you are leaning on a dry stone wall,looking down over Settle,my church,and the beautiful countryside,with the Lake district hills in the distance.

I remember saying,if I die,I would like a bench up here along with a few others who had had the same idea.

Well.... now all this health scare started,I decided to find out more,and e mailed Settle Town Clerk,the replies pointed out facts of council liability,insurance,specifications this that and the other,and a sum in the region of £1600 or there abouts....I only wanted a dedication plaque or something.
Then...on Saturday,awaiting a train,as usual,sat on my usual bench on Settles beautiful village Station,it suddenly occured to me,some benches had dedication plaques on them!!!!!!
I asked Geoff,one of the volunteers who keep our station immaculate,and he told me its practically free and who to contact....the results being...after a few emails to the (FOSCL) Friends Of Settle Carlisle Line,I have arranged a brass plaque for the bench I usually wait at,either sitting or pacing impatiently,awaiting a train.....its the seat on the left,as you pass underneath the overtrack bridge,on the South bound to Leeds platform,it is positioned in front of a modified old fashioned street lamp which stands in a flower border,(ample space for birthday flowers lol)

The plaque will read ...
PAUL A TAYLOR
SIT WITH ME AWHILE,MY FRIENDS,
FOR I HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE LINE.

I hope all my friends will remember where it is when they visit Settle walking.x

No comments: